Monday, May 16, 2011

Look Who's Setting up Camp at our House...

We have some new visitor's at our house this summer....


Aren't they cute! I noticed some cute tiny birds hanging out in the trees out my bedroom window a few weeks ago. I just thought they were cute & liked the trees, but soon I started noticing they were flying a lot inbetween the trees and our front porch. Then this showed up...

It's hard to see but in the corner there is a tiny nest. These birds are so small! Last week as I walked out the front door, I could hear some tiny chearping and knew we had baby birds up there. I can't see them cause I'm too short, but Jared could and got the picture for me. He said they are way back in the nest. He had to move a lot of feathers to see those cute little things.

Then there's our other new residents...

T.J. found a large group of bumble bees flying on the side of our garage last friday. Luckily they are on the side with the ditch so we aren't constantly walking by them. That night Jared looked to see if they were still there and found this. It creeped me out. Don't get me wrong, I know the bumble bee is good to have around. Our fruit trees and garden will do great this year with them. But seeing them all bedded down like this, not to mention seeing it in the dark, was creepy. Gave me goosebumps. It was like this large, cylander thing that was breathing. Knowing hundreds of bees were there was weird. And they haven't left. Looks like they are forming a hive on the side of the garage now. Hope the boys aren't allergic to them like Jared is to wasps. Which is one thing we need to get rid of cause there's always a bunch of those above our garage every year. Yuck!

There is never a dull moment around our place. I love it. Good learning moments for the kids. Just hope we don't get stung!

May 28..... well that didn't last long. The bees, I guess, decided to find another home. They up and left and the only part of them sticking around was a few dead ones on the side of the garage. And as for the cute little birds, the cats got them. T.J. noticed Bandit and Kitty climbing up the brick to catch them for dinner. We tried many times to scare them off, but when I saw the nest had been messed with and couldn't hear the cute chirping as I walked out, I knew the cats won. Oh-well, I'm sure we'll have more little visitors soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment