Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Goal for 2012

“We women have a lot to learn about simplifying our lives. We have to decide what is important and then move along at a pace that is comfortable for us. We have to develop the maturity to stop trying to prove something. We have to learn to be content with what we are.” Marjorie Hinckley
Is that the coolest quote or what?! I found this on a friend's facebook page and had to copy it.
I love this quote. I need this quote. So many times I like to think of myself as someone who can do it all. I volunteer for things, like helping someone out with big projects and such, thinking I'll have no problem doing it. When in all honesty I'm saying to myself.... "You shouldn't have done that!!!" I love helping people, don't get me wrong, but finding the time outside of my family is really hard. I feel like when I do this, I have to choose to either help this person or take care of my family. And I shouldn't. 
Sometimes I set realistic goals in my head as well that really aren't that realistic. Like last year... my goal was to scrapbook 40 different layouts. I did one! How sad is that. And because I set this goal at the beginning of the year, I felt horrible I hadn't accomplished it. But, in my head looking through my year of no time and why I didn't accomplish it, I knew there was no way of meeting this goal. I have kids. I have 3 boys!!! Ages 10, 8 and 6. Ages that require a lot more "Mom" help then older kids. I have parents I help with medical problems. And when a problem pops up with my mom, it's not one simple Dr.'s appointment we are looking at. It's many trips to the hospital, many phone calls with her trying to calm her down and explain what's going on over and over (short term memory loss), and such. It's hard! It's homework, helping Jared with work, church callings-both Jared and I are in leadership positions- scouts, volunteering at the school two days a week, sports, time with our families, sewing quilts for the boys' Christmas presents, and so on. Life's busy. So really... when I set that goal, in the back of my head I already knew it probably wouldn't have happened. I really should be happy I at least got the one done, right?!
So here's my goal for 2012.... work on Sister Hinckley's quote. 
That's it.
And whatever I get accomplished through the year is an added bonus.

1 comment:

  1. Amen!I do the same thing. Then I start feeling guilty when I see what other people do. I have to remind myself that I am doing the best I can and my life is busy and I go only do so much.

    ReplyDelete