Friday, August 19, 2011

Psycho Birds

I was out feeding tonight, in the dark cause we are at football till late, and Jared is gone overnight with Young Men's stuff. I knew the turkeys were out of water, so I thought now would be the perfect time to water them since they were all bedded down for the night. So I open the turkey coop, step in, and shine my light around to make sure there's no birds. Coast is clear. So I start pouring the water in. Next thing I hear is some cooing from the turkeys. I thought to myself, "This isn't good." I looked all over but didn't see them. So I continue pouring. I can still hear the cooing but still see nothing. I'm trying to hurry as fast as I can, I finally finish, then it hits me.... look up. Let's just say I had a mini heart attack. Here's what I saw....
Four stupid turkeys peering down at me from the rafters. Oh... my... gosh! Seriously... mini heart attack.These birds are psycho. If you've seen the movie The Birds by Alfred Hitchcock, you might have an idea of what I mean. These turkeys are crazy! We've never had turkeys like this. Usually the type we get are so sweet they just follow you around the yard. Not these stupid things. They fly all over the place like we're going to kill them. I hate walking into the coop when they are in there. It's a sea of feathers when we do cause they freak out and fly around crazy in that small coop. I usually refuse to go in there. I make Jared do all the watering, but I had no choice tonight. (I think he did this on purpose to teach me a lesson. Didn't work.)
I wish the camera could have gotten all four turkeys so you could see just how scary it was. But my small light would only shine on two. These birds are pretty big. I'm guessing at least 25 lbs. on the hens, and the tom around 30. That's a lot of crazy bird to be flying around. Not sure why the stupid things are perched up there. Jared built them somewhere to bed down, lay eggs, etc. But nope, these birds are picky birds and would rather be in the rafters so they can scare the livin' day lights outa me!

Poor Jeffery. He's still so scared! Found him outside in the turkey run with is head hiding down in the dirt. Hopefully one day he will learn to like other turkeys. Guess that's what happens when he only sees humans for 2 months. Still can't believe he's the only turkey that hatched.


No comments:

Post a Comment